- Written by Ana Teresa Badía
- Published Date
- Hits: 2353
The Salvadorean police captured the former President, Tony Saca, who will be on trial due to crimes of embezzlement, illicit relations and money laundering, according to reports announcement by that Republic General attorney´s office.
Along with Saca, Cesar Funes, who was the secretary of youth, and Julio Rank, who was the former secretary of communications were detained. Moreover, there were other people detained such as Pablo Gómez, Francisco Rodríguez, Jorge Alberto Herrara and Elmer Charlaix who was a private secretary of the former president during his term from 2004 to 2009.
The capture of Saca, Funes and Rank was carried out when they were attending to the wedding party of one of the sons of that former head of state.
On Tuesday, February 23rd and after five working days without an agreement, there were 13 out of 15 judges from the local Supreme Law Court, who issued the order against the radio entrepreneur, Elías Antonio Saca, who was the last president of the Arena party, to be on trial. He has been accused of having millions dollars in terms of savings, without having informed the Treasury between 2004 and 2014.
The judge Ovidio Bonilla and the former president of the Supreme Court and Ricardo Iglesias, who substituted the judge Oscar López Jeréz, were the only ones who abstained on Tuesday.
On November 2013, the Faro newspaper, revealed that the quinquennium (2004-2009). Their enterprises´ profits multiplied in comparison with previous years. It was between 1998 and 2004 that those profits ranged between the 42.000 and the 586.000 dollars, but they they surpassed the million dollars already in 2005 and they increased up to 3.2 million.
During his government, the profits were almost 10.5 million dollars and that is to say 10 times more than the ones obtained after six years that lasted his term.
What the Law says
According to El Salvador site.com, the related offences are the following ones:
1. The embezzlement refers to divert or misappropriation of public funds or assets.
According to the Penal Code, the public official who misappropriated of money, assets or state-run goods would be sanctioned with a sentence, up to 15 years.
2. The law determines that the laundering and the hiding of the origin, location, destiny, movement or the allegedly legal property of funds, goods or their related rights which came from direct or indirect criminal activities, as well as acquiring, possessing or using funds, goods or related wrights by knowing that they come from those activities in order to legitimize them. This crime can be sanctioned with eight or twelve years imprison and a fine of up to fifty or two thousand minimum monthly wages.
3. The crime about illicit relations is about collaborating and conspiring to commit crimes. It is sanctioned with a three to five imprisonment sentence.
4. The penal code defines the illicit relations as structures that are formed by three or more people. They have a temporary or permanent nature and right which has some level of structuration and are aimed at committing crimes. / Radio Rebelde